The Adelphean Society was founded on May 15, 1851 at Wesleyan Female College in Macon, Georgia. This society was the first secret society for women and coins the phrase "first, finest, forever." It was also founded on the four principles of scholarship, leadership, service to others, and sisterhood. Later our name was changed to Alpha Delta Pi, and became known as a Panhellenic sorority.
In 1909, the Iota chapter of Alpha Delta Pi was founded at Florida State University. Iota was the ninth Alpha Delta Pi chapter founded in the United States and the third on Florida State's campus. Our chapter house was the first sorority house built in Florida in 1932. In January 2009, we celebrated our 100th year anniversary at Florida State University. Iota continues to strengthen and prosper throughout the years, and we are excited to see what our chapter accomplishes today and in the future.
Alpha Delta Pi Meditation Pavilion at Florida State University
On October 28th, 2012, Alpha Delta Pi dedicated a gorgeous new Meditation Pavilion to Florida State University as part of an ongoing campus beautification program. The pavilion is location in the Greek Park between Landis Hall and Jefferson Street. The Meditation Pavilion features Gothic architecture, stained glass, a bronze clock, and a center meditation of terrazzo and brass. Florida State University's Master Craftsman Program customized the pavilion for Alpha Delta Pi. Alpha Delta Pi alumnae contributed to the development of the pavilion through their purchases of stained glass windows, stone benches, and other design elements. We are so proud to have such a lasting symbol of our sisterhood as part of the Florida State University campus.